Local World News

More Than 30 Killed In Twin Attacks In Central Somalia

By Rwenzori Daily

The death toll from twin attacks in central Somalia on Wednesday night has climbed above 30, the police chief in Beledweyne district told AFP on Thursday.

“We are still trying to establish the overall number of casualties, but so far we have confirmed that more than 30 people were killed in the second blast alone, which was caused by a car bomb,” said Colonel Isak Ali Abdulle.

“The terrorists carried out the first attack using a suicide bomber and readied a car loaded with explosives in front of a hospital to cause more casualties,” he said.

“These were devastating simultaneous attacks which damaged property as well as causing mass civilian casualties.”

The first attack in Beledweyne killed two local lawmakers, including Amina Mohamed Abdi and several of her guards as she campaigned for re-election.

The second occurred minutes later outside the hospital and left cars in charred, twisted ruins.

The attacks occurred the same day as three people were killed near Mogadishu’s airport in an attack claimed by the Islamist insurgent group Al-Shabaab.

The Al-Qaeda-linked militants frequently attack civilian, military and government targets in Somalia’s capital and outside.

Related posts

 Flood victims encamped at Muhokya seek to meet President Museveni

Editor

Allied health workers call off strike after talks with gov’t

Editor

Researcher calls for protection of Charismatic Nubian Flapshell Turtles

Editor

Deputy Speaker, Archbishop Kazimba condemn assassination acts

Editor

OBR Premier Courts subjects to embrace Bamboo tree planting along river banks

Editor

Hima Town Council resolves to focus on the improvement of roads and heath facilities

Editor

Leave a Comment